An agile team’s velocity is dependant on how many stories were picked up in a sprint and executed. Scrum framework lays emphasis on committing to work with sustainable pace. Basically, velocity is the speed at which the team moves forward.
Leadership lays a lot of importance on how the agile teams can be made more productive and efficient. That brings down to scrum master ownership, on how he can help the teams to improve the velocity over a period of time.
Some of steps that can be beneficial in improving the velocity are:
- Keep an eye on Retrospectives – Identify the key improvement areas and any concerns brought forward by the team which is affecting their productivity.
- Facilitate effective sprint planning – During sprint planning it is always necessary to ask the right questions with regards to any tasks so that scrum master’s can forecast the impediment before hand. Sooner the impediment is brought to closure the faster the team moves the stories.
- Common modules like sign up, forget password or any other modules can be reused to save on time
- Eliminate external team dependencies – Any external dependency should be sorted as fast as possible so that team is faced with minimal blockers.
- Welcome first time failures as learning opportunities – Failures should be welcomed as they teach us a lot. This is something which we should keep in mind while getting any initial failures met by the team. In the longer run it would increase the velocity of the team.
- Avoid changes in team – Every time there is a change in any of the team structure it goes through forming, storming, norming and performing. This affects the velocity of the team. Same team structure are most likely to perform better as they have better connect with each other.